July 11, 2005

The Bhagavad-Gita – Translated by Barbara Stoler Miller

A fantastic, philosophical story which allows us to consider the spiritual discipline of man as he faces contradiction in his life. The ancient Hindu religious text, The Bhagavad-Gita, written in the first century A.D., continues to speak to the modern world. Subtitled Krishna's Counsel in Time of War, this long poem follows a conversation between Arjuna, a mighty warrior, and Krishna, his charioteer and protectorate, a god. Arjuna, when facing the opposing warriors, sees his relations, his family and friends, among the enemy and begins to question his actions:
"Krishna, I see my kinsmen
gathered here, wanting war.

My limbs sink,
my mouth is parched,
my body trembles,
the hair bristles on my flesh.

The magic bow slips
from my hand, my skin burns,
I cannot stand still,
my mind reels.

I see omens of chaos,
Krishna; I see no good
in killing my kinsmen
in battle.
Is it important why a great warrior would suddenly consider his situation in the face of it, Arjuna who wields the emblem of a rampant monkey, blows into a divine conch, rides his chariot out to the middle of the battlefield, and brandishes magical weapons? Facing his familiars, he questions his intention to make war against his family. Perhaps the battle had never before come so close. Krishna answers in god-like fashion:
You grieve for those beyond grief,
and you speak words of insight;
but learned men do not grieve
for the dead or the living.
Krishna suggests that it is useless to worry about what has happened (the dead) and also what will happen (the living). There are more important things to do than grieve over possibility. Krishna then begins to explain, perhaps, his most important message:
Never have I not existed,
nor you, nor these kings;
and never in the future
shall we cease to exist.
His message takes a more cerebral, metaphysical turn and suggests that Arjuna is simply a part of all things. Even if he should die or, as his profession warrants, cause another's death, his presence and the presence of others will continue.

I particularly liked this text for its familial context which, mentioned at the beginning, provides a strong backdrop for the rest of the tale. It not only relates the message on a personal level, but helps us to consider the greater community of the world and its inhabitants as a larger family. I could say much more about this book, but I will leave the rest to your own exploration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home