April 09, 2005

Lan Yu (2001)

Acquired this movie from a coworker. Interestingly, after doing some cursory research on the eye-net, it was difficult to track down an accurate release date for this Chinese movie, directed by Stanley Kwan from Hong Kong. I'm not overly concerned with that information and, as release dates differ in different countries, there is bound to be some confusion. Someone else more meticulous than I will surely correct me eventually. Additionally, I read that this movie wasn't initially released on mainland China, although it may now be available.

I'm sure part of the reason for not releasing the movie in China, set in Beijing, was due to the content, which involves the relationship between a successful middle-aged businessman and his male lover, a young college student. At one point during the movie, which appears to take place in the late 1980s, there is also mention of the police clearing the "square," which is undoubtedly that famous square in the heart of Beijing. Whatever the reasons, those are easily the most intriguing for watching this film as the acting didn't wow me, the directing didn't amaze me, nor did the story surprise me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home